Sponsor

Alibris

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Visions of Horror

Visions of Horor
Artsalliance


In the interest of full disclosure, the scene pictured above was the only available promo shot I could find. I can only assume that's because it's the only moment in the entire thing even resembling nudity (except a wormy guy in a shower, but, you know). Furthermore it's from Hooligan's Alley which is far and away the most unacceptable piece on here.

I wouldn't recommend you go into this expecting to stumble across the next Nightmare on Elm Street, but you may well get a peek at the next Wes Craven. This compendium of off-the-wall, disgusting, macabre, and downright creepy shorts which range from ridiculous to excellent from moment to moment offers something for pretty much any horror fan, with an ability to appreciate some of the lower-budget, on-the-fly horror.

Some of this is absolutely disgusting and some scenes are thoroughly disturbing.

Order of appearance: My Skin!, Slumber, What Ever Happened to the Zombie Killers, Callous Sentiment, Trick or Treat, Hooligan’s Valley, and Scream for Me

My ranking, best to worst: Callous Sentiment (super inventive, great tone), My Skin! (I couldn't help but think Edgar Allan Poe would be proud of this creeper, though I doubt he'd really get it either), Trick or Treat (a bit on the goofy side at moments, but somehow keeps you on edge), Slumber (really quality direction saves a piece that lacked pretty much everything else; you'll likely finish this one unfulfilled, but impressed), Scream for Me (super disturbing, sadomasochistic, with a powerful sense of reality which honestly was a little more than I could hack; House of a Thousand Corpses fans, enjoy), the introduction, the closing credits, anything else that wasn't either: What Ever...Zombie Killers and Hooligans Valley. Yuck. I applaud abstract creativity, so I feel guilty panning the creators of these two flicks. But come on, how did this half-assed garbage sneak into a tight assortment of entertaining horror shorts.


Visions Of Horror

View at Jaman


No comments:

Post a Comment

Here's what's hot on Hulu.